When you think of books that teach valuable lessons to children, The Giving Tree always comes to mind. Join us in giving the gift of literacy this spring.
Our signature gala, Dinner with an Author, is on May 8 from 6:00 - 9:00 pm. With the help of esteemed authors and generous sponsors, we will come together for a memorable evening in support of the RAR-MA mission. The event includes a cocktail hour, seated dinner, and a live and silent auction.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Emerging Leaders Board
Raising A Reader MA’s Emerging Leaders (EL) was conceived and established by the RAR MA Board of Directors as an independent group with its own Board structure in order to raise awareness of RAR MA to young professionals in the greater Boston area. Emerging Leaders is a membership based group, whose participants regularly contribute to the progression of the organization's core mission and develop into potential future leaders, specifically as EL and RAR-MA Board members.
EL members apply to participate in the group and have a fundraising goal for the year. Applications are reviewed and accepted by the RAR-MA EL Board.
Co-Chair – Emily Leinbach, The Bowdoin Group
Co-Chair – Chapman Leedy, Federal Reserve Boston
Chair Emeritus – Josh Schaer, Freshii Boston
Lauren Atsalis, Bass Doherty
Manusha Chereddy, Harbourvest
Sarah Curry, Jones Lange Lasalle Boston
Jack Gilbert, Cambridge Associates
Elise Goodhue, Northwestern Mutual
Parker Greiwe, Boston Children's Hospital
Bill Hall, Gordon's Wine & Liquor
Serene Liu, IBM Labs
Kevin O’Hanlon, Marcus & Millichap
Brendan Rice, Magellan Jets
Ian White, Marcus & Millichap
Emerging Leader Fundraising Events:
Director of Development
The Director of Development provides high level strategic leadership, execution, and operational management of the organization’s development activities, while also focusing on increasing the organization's ability to attract and retain individual donors. This person will be responsible for working with the Executive Director and Board to strategically target the right development efforts to grow revenues and relationships over time. Currently the organization raises approximately $1,000,000 per year, about half from foundations, and half from events and individuals. Development efforts are currently led by the Executive Director, and supported by a contract part-time Grant Writer, and a Development Manager.
- Proven record of accomplishment in fundraising, particularly in the areas of individuals and major gifts, with a working knowledge of all other aspects of fundraising
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, affinity for networking, and high level of confidence, professionalism and poise in front of others
- Eagerness to learn, grow, and stay on top of trends in philanthropy and early literacy
- Excellent ability to write and edit persuasive materials
- Exceptional time management, project management and organizational skills focused on both short-term and long-term strategy
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and effectively without close supervision
- Willingness to function effectively as a member of a team, and to participate in activities that will contribute to the organization’s overall success
- Strong understanding and practice of cultural humility and respect for others
- Proficiency in Salesforce or other CRM systems. Solid information technology skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life/professional experience
To apply: Please send a resume, a writing sample, and cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state where you learned of this opportunity.
Other Ways to Support Us
Businesses, schools and community groups often host new and used book drives to support Raising A Reader MA.
Assist in tasks such as entering family pre- and post- Red Bag implementation surveys, entering information forms, and entering partner surveys.
Assist in re-organizing our copy room, sorting books, filing documents, repurposing old technology, and other general office management tasks.
THROUGH OUR AMAZON WISHLIST
Give the gift of literacy when you provide us with workshop supplies such as gift cards, flip chart paper, and books!
CURRICULUM & OUTREACH
Assist in preparing email communications for program participants using Constant Contact and preparing texting communications for program participants.
Assist in tasks such as translating documents (Arabic, Somali, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Spanish, and more needed), contributing to our monthly newsletter, researching new funder prospects, and graphic design.
Interested in these and other opportunities?
Sign up for weekly volunteer updates from RAR MA in your inbox!