Programs that are not based in our targeted Direct Service Communities can still implement Raising A Reader MA’s evidence-based model by becoming Local Affiliates. Through this delivery model, non-Gateway cities are able to access Raising A Reader MA programming to their children through a tailored train-the-trainer model, which allows staff to implement our core program either within their own agency or with their own partners. There are three steps to launching Raising A Reader MA’s Local Affiliate approach:
- First, a community-based program, often the regional Coordinated Family and Community Engagement Council, secures funding to support the implementation of Raising A Reader MA.
- Next, they designate staff to attend an intensive two-day session covering the ins- and-outs of Raising A Reader MA. In addition to training on brain development, dialogic reading, and program logistics, attendees also learn how to access our evidence-based curriculum and other online resources.
- Finally, the partner program launches the red bag rotation for their children and families, and implements the Raising A Reader MA parent training curriculum.
Throughout the process, Local Affiliates receive tailored support including text for grant writing, program design consultation, ongoing technical support, annual evaluation reports, and access to Raising A Reader MA’s statewide network.
Implementing Raising A Reader is a multi-year commitment. Costs decrease significantly after the first year investment into program materials.
Raising A Reader MA began its local affiliate program in Plymouth in 2012 and now reaches over 1500 children in 14 towns through partnerships with:
- Cape Cod Children’s Place
- Cerebral Palsy Association of Eastern Massachusetts
- Child Care of the Berkshires
- Lynn Coordinated Family and Community Engagement
- Family ACCESS of Newton
- Plymouth Family Network
- CAAS Head Start
- Cambridge Economic Opportunity Child Care (CEOC)
- Elizabeth Peabody House
- Open Center for Children
- Somerville Child Care Center
- Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville YMCA
- The Guidance Center
- South County Community Partnership
- West Springfield Coordinated Family and Community Engagement
- Worcester Coordinated Family and Community Engagement
To learn more about becoming a Local Affiliate please contact Sara Pollock DeMedeiros, Director of Program and Evaluation, at firstname.lastname@example.org.