Operations and Finance Manager
Position Overview: The Raising A Reader MA Operations and Finance Managers’ primary responsibility is to ensure that the financial systems and internal daily operations of Raising A Reader MA run effectively and efficiently. The Operations and Finance Manager reports directly to the Executive Director. The Operations and Finance Manager oversees the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and procedures, and management of all internal aspects of the RAR-MA, Inc. headquarters and its functions.
Commitment: This is a 25-30 hour per week, 6 month contract position with potential employment opportunity
Financial Management: Provide oversight and management for all aspects of the organization’s day to day finances including the supervision of an outsourced accounting firm; Ensure accuracy, efficiency and coordination of all day-to-day financial operations including budgeting, accounting, forecasting, and financial management. This person is directly responsible for all areas relating to business planning, accounting, reconciliation, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, cash management, financial and tax reporting
- Review monthly and quarterly financial reports and share with Executive Team and review with Treasurer
- Oversee development of the organization’s annual budget and manage collaboration with the Executive Team.
- Oversee the annual financial audit process and be responsible for all record keeping
- Manage cash flow, liquidity needs, excess cash balances and banking relationships
- Record deposits on cash receipts log and enter into QuickBooks, including online donations, wire transfers, and other online ecommerce businesses (SquareUp, etc.)
- Reconcile monthly bank statement and financials
- Manage accountants to ensure timely reports and bill payments
- Manage short term investments and line of credit
- Code and class all bills and submit for payment, including documentation of all expenses
- Prepare all invoices
- Maintain internal financial records
- Serve as the management liaison to the Finance & Audit committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the executive team and at committee meetings.
- Organize and report minutes on quarterly Finance & Audit Committee
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the Executive Director apprised of all critical issues
- Implement and manage an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures
Human Resources: Manage all aspects of personnel policies and manage and monitor consultants and vendors contractual agreements, including related policies and procedures.
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of payroll and employee benefits including hiring and separation procedures
- Manage staff records on hours worked, vacation time, sick time, and report on payroll
- Manage personnel files administration, benefits administration (vacation, health, retirement, salary history, performance evaluations, benefits information, employment documents)
- Manage human resource related vendors including unemployment issues, workers compensation audit, and business insurance renewal, etc.
- Review all benefits annually and make recommendations for implementation; communicate changes to employees for prompt enrollment
Administration/Operations: Support the organizations mission and aspirations through the effective management of its business operations.
- Oversee all internal operational and administrative functions.
- Manage all vendors and service providers and office supply purchases
- Ensure adherence to existing financial policies and procedures, and further develop policies and procedures to improve the department’s effectiveness.
- Help represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly during fundraising events
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as cd’s or money market accounts, 401k plan, payroll, invoicing, accounts payable, and purchasing.
- Technology: Manage all aspects of technology support and access including internet, computers, and printing.
- Provide support on special projects as needed.
- Provide administrative support as needed.
Qualifications: Passionate belief in our mission and values
- Experience in an entrepreneurial environment
- A minimum of 5 years of successful, results-oriented related experience
- Ability to take initiative with enthusiasm and follow through
- Positive attitude and outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work as a member of a team and with a high degree of independence
- Knowledge of current business communications standards and practices (including style/format of letters, memoranda, minutes and reports)
- Knowledge of current office procedures/programs, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, QuickBooks; Knowledge of Salesforce and web design a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Budgeting and reporting experience required
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Cate Johnston, Associate Director of Program Quality at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include email subject, “Operations Manager application”.